St.  Patrick Parish History- the first 150 years
Historia de San  Patricio - los primeros 150 anos
St. Patrick parish was organized between  1864 and 1865 at the conclusion  of the Civil War. The first church was built  by Father Joseph Petit. It was a small brick  building that stood at the present site of the Sister's Convent.  It was the third established parish of the Indianapolis diocese and was originally named  St.  Peter's. However  since the  parish boundaries lay within the southeast section of the city known the n as "Irish Hill" the name of the church was destined to change.

St. Peter's served as the parish church for six years until 1870 when a larger church was erected  by the next pastor, Father Peter Fitzpatrick. Gothic-styled in the form of a cross this new 110-foot-long church had a 130-foot spire that towered over the top of the structure and could be seen for miles.  With the  laying  of the corner stone in August  of 1871 the church was then consecrated "St. Patrick's" and has retained that name ever since.

The previous church building was then established as a small one room school under the direction  of a Mrs. Keating. Mrs. Keating  taught the young students until1875 whe n t he Sisters of Providence arr·ived and began their long association with the parish. Eight yea rs later  the services of the Brothers of the Sacred  Heart were obtained to conduct a school for boys at St. Patrick's. The Boys school was opened  in 1878 in a building located  opposite  of the new church on Dougherty Street (now Woodlawn Avenue). It was later closed in 1919.

The early leadership of St. Patrick's parish was conducted  by several different priests from 1879 until 1885 when  Father Denis  O'Donaghue was appointed pastor.  (In addition to his duties at St. Patrick's he was Chancellor of the Vincennes  Diocese and later appointed Auxiliary Bishop to
the aging Bishop Chatard.)  During his 25 year  tenure at St. Patrick's Fr. O'Donaghue was charged with duties to oversee the construction of a permanent home for the Sisters tha t included an academy  for their  pupils  (this was built in 1890 on the site of the first school, the original parish church, a nd the present convent) the complete refurbishing of the 14 year old church and the building of a rectory  directly  behind  the church facing Prospect  Street. In addition to handling all the new construction and changes, he established three  choirs  along with eleven other  parish organizations. Fr. O'Donaghue was appointed Bishop  of Louisville in 1910 and reluctantly left the parish he so cherished. He had established a thriving pa1·ish on the sou theast side of Indianapolis that catered mostly to the Irish immigrants drawn to Indianapolis following the great potato famine in Ireland in 1849·50.

After Father O'Donaghue's departure Rev. V. J. Brucker guided the  parish for the next three years  until Father John O'Connell was appointed pastor in 1913. Fr. O'Connell (born coincidently on St. Patrick's Day 48 years earlier) shepherded the parish for the next thirty-six years and nearly became a living legend.

During his tenure Fr. O'Connell ended  up having to construct a completely  new parish unit. Tvvo of the three buildings he supervised had  been earmarked for new construetion but the third was not. The present school and rectory  had long bee n planned  for in the 1920's. But a new church was never on the drawing board.

On February 11, 1923 Bishop Joseph Chartrand blessed the new parish school that  replaced the old classrooms in the convent  and the old boys' school on Woodlawn. Next up on the building  agenda was a n ew adequate rectory for the pastor and his assista nts. But an a rsonist set the 57 year·old St. Patrick's Church on fire shortly before  lOam on the morning of June 20, 1927 completely changing the parish p]ans and dashing their
hopes for financial stability.

The Fountain Sq uare landmark was quickly reduced to charred rubble with only four walls standing. Newspaper accounts of the church  blaze credit  the bravery of the parish staff and two neighbors for saving some ofthe church treasures. Pastor O'Connell and his two assistants Fathers Barrett
Tieman and George Sebastian along with  the near-by  neighbors rushed to the church and were able to rescue the gold altar vessels  and the Holy Eucharist. A few vestments along wit h some statues and  paintings were also saved. Fire officials said at least four fires were set in the church  including one in the attic.  The attic fire fully engulfed the 150 foot belfry tower causing it to crash into  the interio1·of church. Although the altar was destroyed  the statues of St. Patrick and St. Dennis standing on either side of the altar were for the most part unharmed by the  tons of falling debris. Damage was estimated at between $75,000 and $100,000 causing fire officials to declare the church a total loss.

From 1927 through 1929 Fr. O'Connell watched over the parish as a whole new complex then  took shape...a new church, a school and a rectory. The new church, dedica ted in 1929 (shortly before the infamous stock market crash) was the first Ca tholic church in the Indianapolis built in the Spa nish style rather than  the traditional Gothic. The  modified Spa nish· Renaissa nce styled  church  designed  by Adolf Scherer  measured 87 feet wide and 153 feet long. It sported  a 105 foot be ll tower and  a distinctive green tile roof. That Spanish style, including the green  title  roof, has been maintained throughout the years along with the 105 foot belfr·y and remains as a longtim e Indianapolis landmark visible throughout Fountain Square.

The  newly built St. Patrick's church  helped  to lift the spirits of the parishioners as they endured the trials of the Great Depression and the on slot of World War II Dutring this period an exodus of sort began and long·time  parish families started to relocate to other areas of the city and  to other communities.

In 1949 the beloved then  Monsignor  O'Connell passed away. His successor Fr. Thomas  Fields led the parish for the next 15 years through a ma rked loss of faithful parishioners ena bled by the construction of interstates I 65 and I 70. Many homes and  businesses were destroyed and a large  portion  of the parish was uprooted. Yet major  remodeling was needed for the school a nd rectory that would serve  the shrinking flock.

A new convent...one reputed  to be the finest convent in the Archdiocese...was built in hopes of keeping  the staff of nuns  on site  to teach the remaining children of the parish. Fr. Fields worked hard  to make that happen but it took its toll and his health  declined.

Monsignor James Galvin assumed the reins of St. Patrick following the death  of Fr. Yields in 1964.  Other recent pastors included Fr. Michael Bradley, Father Patrick Doyle, Father Larry Volker and Father Tom Fox. In the mid 1990's St. Patrick's was put on a tentative list of parishes to be closed by the Archdiocese within the next few years. Providence sister Jean Marie Cleveland,  the parish life coordinator, and Fr. Doyle worked tirelessly to convince the Archdiocese that St. Patrick's was still a viable asset to the diocese. St Patrick's received a reprieve and continued on doing a great deal of outreach for the Fountain Square area and providing much needed services to the poor. Outreach dinners were established as was a food pantry.  Both of these still exist today.

St. Patrick's continued to go through some tough times as it prepared to move into the 21st. century. Mass attendance declined and Masses were shared with Holy Rosary, alternating Mass locations during the winter and summer months.

And once again  talk  began to surface that St. Patrick's was endanger of closing.  Now as the new century dawned  so did a miracle of sorts for St. Patrick's.  A large influx of the Hispanic community began to gravitate to St. Patrick's as they found the cavernous church could accommodate their  large congregation. The Hispanics were in need of a parish and a priest and St. Patrick's opened their doors. Fr. Tom Fox originally ministered to them but he was also acting as pastor for neighboring Holy Cross parish and helping out with the Hispanic community at St. Mary's. The Archdiocese  quickly saw the need. for this inner city parish to nurture this  growing immigrant community.  Fr. Arturo Ocampo,  a bilingual Franciscan priest was appointed pastor of St. Patrick's in the fall of 2004 and  began the task  of joining the two congregations---English and Spanish--·into one cohesive group. Fr. Arturo continued to lead the fast growing Hispanic community and the English speaking congregation until his retirement due to health issues in July of 2013.  Fr. Arturo passed away in his home state of Texas December  14, 2014.

Franciscan Fr. Larry  Janezic assumed the pastoral duties  at St.  Patrick's in September of 2013. He is enjoying watching and leading his flock as the church  population continues to expand.  The rebirth of the Fountain Square neighborhood and  business district has no doubt  aided St. Patrick's growing  numbers. From  the redeveloped neighborhoods, to the inc·reasing Hispanic presence,  to the returning generation of families who are distant relatives of the original parish  congregation St. Patrick's is once again ALIVE! We pray  that it will continue developing and instilling a deep faith and love for our God for our next 150 years.



La parroquia de St. Patrick fue organizada entre 1864 y 1865 en la conclusión de la guerra civil. La primera iglesia fue construida por el Padre Joseph Petit. Era un pequeño edificio de ladrillo que se encontraba en el actual sitio del Convento de las Hermanas. Fue la tercera parroquia establecida de la diócesis de Indianápolis y originalmente fue nombrada San Pedro. Sin embargo, ya que los límites de la parroquia se encuentra dentro de la sección sureste de la ciudad conocida como la "colina irlandesa" el nombre de la iglesia estaba destinado a cambiar.

San Pedro sirvió como iglesia parroquial durante seis años hasta 1870 cuando una iglesia más grande fue erigida por el próximo pastor, el padre Peter Fitzpatrick. De estilo gótico en forma de cruz, esta nueva iglesia de 110 pies de largo tenía una torre de 130 pies que se elevaba sobre la parte superior de la estructura y se podía ver a kilómetros. Con la colocación de la piedra angular en agosto de 1871 la iglesia fue entonces consagrada "San Patricio" y ha conservado ese nombre desde entonces.

El edificio de la iglesia anterior se estableció entonces como una pequeña escuela de una habitación bajo la dirección de una señora Keating. La Sra. Keating enseñó a los jóvenes estudiantes hasta 1875 cuando las Hermanas de la Providencia empezaron y comenzaron su larga asociación con la parroquia. Ocho años después se obtuvieron los servicios de los Hermanos del Sagrado Corazón para dirigir una escuela para niños en San Patricio. La escuela de los muchachos fue abierta en 1878 en un edificio situado enfrente de la nueva iglesia en la calle de Dougherty (ahora avenida de Woodlawn). Fue cerrado más adelante en 1919.

El liderazgo temprano de la parroquia de San Patricio fue conducido por varios sacerdotes diferentes a partir de 1879 hasta 1885 cuando el padre Denis O'Donaghue fue nombrado pastor. (Además de sus deberes en St. Patrick era canciller de la diócesis de Vincennes y después designado obispo auxiliar para
El envejecido Obispo Chatard.) Durante su mandato de 25 años en el P. de San Patricio. O'Donaghue se encargó de supervisar la construcción de un hogar permanente para las Hermanas que incluía una academia para sus alumnos (construida en 1890 en el sitio de la primera escuela, la iglesia parroquial original y el convento actual ) La renovación completa de la iglesia de 14 años y la construcción de una rectoría directamente detrás de la iglesia frente a Prospect Street. Además de manejar todas las nuevas construcciones y cambios, estableció tres coros junto con otras once organizaciones parroquiales. Fr. O'Donaghue fue nombrado obispo de Louisville en 1910 y abandonó a regañadientes la parroquia que tan querido. Había establecido un próspero paulis en el lado sur de Indianápolis que atendía principalmente a los inmigrantes irlandeses atraídos a Indianápolis después del gran hambre de la papa en Irlanda en 1849.

Después de la partida del Padre O'Donaghue, el Rev. V. Brucker guió a la parroquia durante los próximos tres años hasta que el Padre John O'Connell fue nombrado párroco en 1913. O'Connell (nacido coincidentemente en el Día de San Patricio 48 años antes) pastoreó la parroquia durante los siguientes treinta y seis años y casi se convirtió en una leyenda viva.

Durante su mandato el P. O'Connell terminó teniendo que construir una unidad parroquial completamente nueva. Tvvo de los tres edificios que supervisó había sido destinado a la nueva construcción, pero el tercero no lo era. La escuela y la rectoría tenían una larga abeja planeada para los años veinte. Pero una nueva iglesia nunca estaba en el tablero de dibujo.

El 11 de febrero de 1923, el obispo Joseph Chartrand bendijo la nueva escuela parroquial que reemplazó las viejas aulas del convento y la escuela de los viejos varones en Woodlawn. A continuación, en la agenda del edificio había una nueva rectoría adecuada para el pastor y sus asistentes. Pero un incendiario puso en llamas a la Iglesia de San Patricio, de 57 años de edad, poco antes de la madrugada del 20 de junio de 1927, cambiando por completo las parroquias y arrojando su
Esperanzas de estabilidad financiera.

La fuente Sq uare hito fue rápidamente reducido a escombros calcinados con sólo cuatro paredes de pie. Los relatos de los periódicos sobre el resplandor de la iglesia dan crédito a la valentía del personal de la parroquia y de dos vecinos por haber guardado algunos de los tesoros de la iglesia. Pastor O'Connell y sus dos asistentes Padres Barrett
Tieman y George Sebastian junto con los vecinos cercanos se apresuraron a la iglesia y fueron capaces de rescatar los vasos de altar de oro y la Santa Eucaristía. Algunas vestiduras con algunas estatuas y pinturas también se salvaron. Funcionarios de bomberos dijeron que al menos cuatro fuegos fueron colocados en la iglesia incluyendo uno en el ático. El fuego del ático envolvió completamente la torre de campanario de 150 pies haciéndola chocar contra el interior de la iglesia. Aunque el altar fue destruido las estatuas de San Patricio y San Dennis de pie a cada lado del altar fueron en su mayor parte ilesos por las toneladas de escombros que caen. El daño fue estimado en entre $ 75.000 y $ 100.000 que causan a oficiales del fuego declarar a la iglesia una pérdida total.

De 1927 a 1929 el P. O'Connell vigiló la parroquia como un nuevo complejo entero tomó forma ... una nueva iglesia, una escuela y una rectoría. La nueva iglesia, dedicada en 1929 (poco antes de la infame caída del mercado bursátil) fue la primera iglesia católica en Indianápolis construida en el estilo nish en vez del tradicional gótico. La iglesia modificada de Spa nish · Renaissa nce diseñada por Adolf Scherer midió 87 pies de ancho y 153 pies de largo. Disfrutaba de una torre de 105 pies de altura y un techo de teja verde distintivo. Ese estilo español, incluyendo el tejado verde del título, se ha mantenido a través de los años junto con el 105 pies de belfr · y y permanece como una señal de Indianápolis de longtim y visible visible a través de la Plaza de la Fuente.

La iglesia de San Patricio recién construida ayudó a levantar los espíritus de los feligreses a medida que soportaban las pruebas de la Gran Depresión y la ranura de la Segunda Guerra Mundial Dutring este período un éxodo de género comenzó y las familias de la parroquia de largo tiempo comenzaron a trasladarse a Otras zonas de la ciudad y otras comunidades.

En 1949 falleció el amado monseñor O'Connell. Su sucesor, el P. Thomas Fields dirigió la parroquia durante los siguientes 15 años a través de una pérdida ma rked de fieles feligreses ena bled por la construcción de interestatales I 65 y I 70. Muchos hogares y negocios fueron destruidos y una gran parte de la parroquia fue desarraigada. Sin embargo, se necesitaba una remodelación importante para la escuela y la rectoría que serviría al rebaño que se encogía.

Un nuevo convento ... uno que se considera el mejor convento de la Arquidiócesis ... fue construido con la esperanza de mantener el personal de monjas en el sitio para enseñar a los niños restantes de la parroquia. Fr. Fields trabajó duro para que eso sucediera, pero cobró su peaje y su salud disminuyó.

Monseñor James Galvin asumió las riendas de San Patricio tras la muerte del P. Rendimientos en 1964. Otros pastores recientes incluyeron al P. Michael Bradley, el padre Patrick Doyle, el padre Larry Volker y el padre Tom Fox. A mediados de la década de 1990, St. Patrick's fue puesto en una lista tentativa de parroquias que serán cerradas por la Arquidiócesis dentro de los próximos años. La hermana de la Providencia, Jean Marie Cleveland, coordinadora de la vida parroquial, y el P. Doyle trabajó incansablemente para convencer a la Arquidiócesis de que St. Patrick todavía era un activo viable para la diócesis. San Patricio recibió una suspensión y siguió haciendo un gran esfuerzo de extensión para el área de Fountain Square y proporcionando servicios muy necesarios a los pobres. Las cenas de extensión se establecieron como era una despensa de alimentos. Ambos todavía existen hoy en día.

St. Patrick's continuó pasando por tiempos difíciles mientras se preparaba para pasar al 21. siglo. La asistencia a la misa disminuyó y las misas fueron compartidas con el Santo Rosario, alternando lugares de Misa durante los meses de invierno y verano.

Y una vez más la conversación empezó a surgir que la de San Patricio ponía en peligro el cierre. Ahora, a medida que el nuevo siglo amanecía, hizo un milagro de tipo para St. Patrick's. Una gran afluencia de la comunidad hispana comenzó a gravitar a St. Patrick's, ya que encontraron la iglesia cavernosa podría acomodar a su gran congregación. Los hispanos necesitaban una parroquia y un sacerdote y St. Patrick's abrieron sus puertas. Fr. Tom Fox originalmente les ministró, pero también estaba actuando como pastor de la parroquia vecina de Holy Cross y ayudando con la comunidad hispana en St. Mary's. La Arquidiócesis rápidamente vio la necesidad. Para que esta parroquia de la ciudad interior nutra a esta creciente comunidad de inmigrantes. Fr. Arturo Ocampo, sacerdote franciscano bilingüe, fue nombrado párroco de St. Patrick's en el otoño de 2004 y comenzó la tarea de unirse a las dos congregaciones --- Inglés y Español-- · en un grupo cohesivo. Fr. Arturo continuó liderando la comunidad hispana de rápido crecimiento y la congregación de habla inglesa hasta su jubilación debido a problemas de salud en julio de 2013. Arturo falleció en su estado natal de Texas el 14 de diciembre de 2014.

Padre franciscano Larry Janezic asumió los deberes pastorales en San Patricio en septiembre de 2013. Él está disfrutando viendo y dirigiendo su rebaño como la población de la iglesia continúa expandiéndose. El renacimiento del barrio de la Plaza de la Fuente y el distrito de negocios sin duda ha ayudado
El número creciente de St. Patrick. Desde los barrios reurbanizados hasta la incansable presencia hispana, hasta la generación que regresa de familias que son familiares lejanos de la congregación parroquial original, ¡St. Patrick's está una vez más VIVO! Oramos para que continúe desarrollando e inculcando una profunda fe y amor a nuestro Dios por los próximos 150 años.